Recovery from Elbow surgery for stiffness/contracture requires analgesia, restoration of range of movement and return to functional activities.
• Immediate post op
• Passive ROM under Physio Supervision for 3/7 if block is working
• Immediate active ROM if nil block within limits of pain (to point of mild stretch) in all directions
• Continue with active ROM in all directions
• Introduce resistance program if required
• If nil progress made with ROM discuss with consultant
Overuse/ over activity / over-zealous physiotherapy stretching can cause increase swelling, and pain so slow down if this occurs.
Use ice and ensure adequate pain relief. If there is no swelling present warmth can be considered for pain relief.
Dr Andrew McBride- Elbow Surgeon Gold Coast